[mythtv] imdb replacement? themoviedb.org

Bill Stewart wstewart at hgrace.com
Wed Nov 12 08:01:05 UTC 2008

The other scripts, intended for france, russia, etc, are not good alternatives for north america (I don't believe so).  Removing imdb has been discussed in many threads for the past months and I recall that removal is imminent due to concern over the terms of use.

Yes themoviedb.org will be offered as an alternate script.  I have a prototype script working already and since themoviedb.org is not quite as populated as imdb, my script falls back on imdb when it finds nothing at themoviedb.org  or augments the results.  Since some of the imdb code has already been moved to MythTV/MythVideoCommon.pm, I am at this stage merely suggesting to move more of it to the Mythtv sub dir so that both my new themoviedb.pl script can use it and the current imdb.pl script can use it without have two copies of the same code hanging around.

I will post my prototype script soon, but its not quite ready for prime time yet as themoviedb.org API is not quite complete yet.
The API is missing information that the imdb currently provides, but I know that the api will be updated soon to include the addtional information.  All the needed information and more is available in themoviedb.org database as one can see through the web page access, it is just a matter of waiting until the API is updated.

themoviedb.org was developed as a replacement for imdb for meedios I believe.  In fact their API is able to use the imdb numbering.

This new database opens new possiblilities for mythvideo, such as trailors links are available to could be played through mythtube.