[mythtv] imdb replacement? themoviedb.org

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Wed Nov 12 19:31:28 UTC 2008

 > I would recommend moving the imdb.pl functions getMovieData and
 > getMovieList to a new file in MythTV/imdb.pm, then having the new script
 > first lookup the movie at themoviedb.org, then fall back to imdb if its
 > not found at themoviedb.org.  The themoviedb.org is growing but doesn't
 > have everything that imdb does.  Eventually the imdb code could be
 > removed entirely.

MythVideoCommon.pm was intended for exactly that sort of thing, but
falling back to IMDb is not an option. I will find time before the
release to make us comply with the various site terms (in IMDb's case,
this means not using them). At the same time I'm going to make it easier
to add scripts and make choosing which is used easier.

Direct use of IMDb will be gone for 0.22. For those who can't live
without it, imdbpy.py will remain, and I will provide instructions for
how IMDbPy can be used while complying with IMDb's terms of use.

I liked omdb.org because, judging only by their lack of content, it
seemed clear they were not stealing it (well, posters and if they were,
they were doing a poor job of it).

themmoviedb.org's path to choosing not to do this was apparently public
(their bug #27) and well, wasn't very reassuring if you were looking for
a firm statement.

Things that would be nice to know:

One purpose of an API key is to track abuse, how is abuse defined or
will they just know it when they see it?

Their data license is CC Attribution, what do they actually require (I
couldn't find it on their site)?

--
Anduin Withers