[mythtv] New Video Decode and Presentation API

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Nov 18 21:42:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 03:19:25PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2008 3:02:03 pm Mitch Gore wrote:
> > From you knowledge does it look like VDPAU will have all the downsides of
> > XvMC or is it better?
>
> Downsides meaning more liable to be stuttery due to less buffering, the
> greyscale OSD (without colorkey tricks), etc?  Naw, none of that applies.
> When finished, this should be better than regular Xv playback.

Those downsides and doesn't XvMC also suffer from severly limited
deinterlacing options?  Regarding deinterlacing, I believe the vdpau
docs only list bob and weave deinterlacers.  Will there be anything
like the 2x deinterlacers we have now added to vdpau?

Given your druthers, would you rather have a new E8400/E8500 based
frontend for viewing HD-PVR recordings or save some cash and use vdpau
in an older frontend with a new video card?  My current frontend can
only handle 480p HD-PVR recordings and I was about to build a new one
when the vdpau news broke.

David
--
David Engel