[mythtv] Audio-upmixing questions regarding #5900

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 04:57:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:12 PM, foo bar <foobum at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/18 Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>:
>> Is there a way to choose between Pro Logic and DTS Neo? My receiver's
>> do both these (so I wouldn't really use this feature, but) and there
>> is a noticable difference, which for some content means one is better
>> than the other. So, you know, it would just be nice to be able to
>> choose...
>
> I think you've misunderstood slightly. The upmixer will use any DPL /
> DTS Neo hints that are encoded into the source material to do routing.
> You can't choose unless you encoded the source material. The output is
> 5 discrete channels (plus LFE) - no matrix encoding is passed to the
> receiver.
>
> The algorithm it uses to upmix 2 channel stuff with no matrix encoding
> is a little like DPL II but, apparently, better. It does sound that
> way to me. Also, we set different parameters in terms of rear speaker
> phase, 'dimension' and 'center width' depending on the source (video
> playback or music). So you may find, like I have, that it's
> easier/better to upmix in myth rather than at your receiver.

Interesting. My receivers both let me choose which of those to use,
with varying quality of output, even though I don't think I've ever
encountered anything designed with Neo6 in mind specifically.

But, that said, you've intrigued me to try it out to see if it as a
third option is better =D

Thanks for the work in this, it's something I'd hoped someone with the
ability to do would add to Myth for a while now, so it cool to see it
actually get implemented, good work to all involved!

--
Steve
http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MythTV/