[mythtv] 0.21 Firewire bus reset every 60 seconds?

Eric Smith erictsmith at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 17:37:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> "Eric Smith" <erictsmith at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:
> >
> >     > Here's an example of the backend log between the 60-second "okay
> >     period":
> >     >
> >     > 2008-06-11 08:43:37.498 LFireDev(000E5CFFFE5AF9A5):
> SignalReset(86->87)
> >     > 2008-06-11 08:43:37.553 LFireDev(000E5CFFFE5AF9A5):
> SignalReset(86->87):
> >     Updating device list -- begin
> >     > 2008-06-11 08:43:37.815 LFireDev(000E5CFFFE5AF9A5):
> SignalReset(86->87):
> >     Updating device list -- end
> >     > 2008-06-11 08:43:37.917 LFireDev(000E5CFFFE5AF9A5), Warning: No
> Input in
> >     50 msec...
> >     > 2008-06-11 08:44:37.501 LFireDev(000E5CFFFE5AF9A5), Warning: No
> Input in
> >     100 msec...
> >     > ...
> >
> >     After updating libraw1394 from 1.2.1 to 1.3.0 this kind of error
> seems
> >     to have been reduced..  But it also seems to be a problem if the
> >     firewire broadcast bus isn't completely synched.  For example, the
> >     myth box was rebooted yesterday and then the first recording had
> >     this issue.  But then I reset the bus manually using firewire_tester
> >     (which, by the way, took two or three tries before it synced!)..
> >     and then my recording this morning was fine.
> >
> >     So something weird is still going on, but at least the libraw upgrade
> >     seems to have helped.
> >
> >     Any other suggestions?  My next step is to setup a script to run
> >     firewire_tester on boot-up to make sure the bus is stable before
> >     mythbackend runs.
> >
> >     -derek
> >
> > I also see this issue, somewhat infrequently, but enough to be a problem.
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on things I could check to resolve it?
>
> I converted over to an external channel change script that runs
> firewire tester on every channel change to force a bus synchronization.
> This might reset the bus, so it might not work right if you have
> multiple firewire devices.   The script is based on the script
> from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff#6200changer.sh
> but I had to make a few changes to get it working right for me.
>
> Since I've changed to this script I haven't lost a single recording,
> and the number of times I get the sequencial bus resets from myth
> has been reduced dramatically (although not completely eliminated --
> I've still seen it happen once or twice).
>
> Another side effect of this script is that LiveTV times out when
> using this tuner.  Apparently the script takes "too long" and
> LiveTV gives up too quickly.  I haven't looked into extending
> the timeout.
>
> -derek
>
> --
> [...]

I can certainly give that a try and see what happens.  I only have the one
box on that firewire bus so that wouldn't be a problem.
However, that's a bit of a band-aid isn't it?  I'd be interested to
understand the root cause of the issue.  It certainly appears that the data
stream is coming through fine at the point myth issues the reset.  So where
is the missing link that is causing myth to issue the reset?