[mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 18:22:03 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What gets measured gets fixed.  I haven't looked at the mythtv source
> code yet.  Has anyone installed timer stubs to log how long each of the
> steps in a channel change takes ?  Do we really know why mythtv is
> slow ?

Okay... How do you even know it's slow? I take around half a second
after my ir blaster finishes for the channel to update. The ir blaster
takes about a second and a half to two seconds. It sounds like you
never used myth and you're going on the say so of random folks who
might not have a clue, or might have things setup incorrectly or any
number of problems.

Just listening to other people that myth is 'slow' when you have
strict requirements seems silly. You should be doing the work to test
it out and see if it meets your needs or not, and if not, look at the
code yourself.

This is the development channel, but that doesn't mean we're here to
tackle any project any random person wants to get into.

You're gonna need to get your hand dirty, that's just the nature of a
volunteer based open source project.