[mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 14:13:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 11:00 -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 08:28 -0400, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > Why don't you explain to us how one should fix the channel change times
> > on their mythtv setups and we can add that to the mythtv documentation.
>
> *snip*
>
> This discussion does not belong in mythtv-dev.
>
> If you feel like you are getting the cold shoulder it's only because
> this has been discussed to death; every question asked in this thread
> has been asked and answered multiple times. If you want to contribute
> please consider reading the history of this mailing list and
> mythtv-users with respect to channel changing speed and creating
> a wiki article explaining the highlights.

Luckily mythtv is an open source project.  I hope that not everyone
feels as you do.  Bandwidth is cheap.  I didn't see direct answers to my
questions in the history.  I hope that others chime in and we all learn
something from this discussion.  FWIW, I am getting off list emails from
others urging me to persist.

I find it interesting that this topic has been "discussed to death" and
yet it remains a source of contention.  That would seem to imply that
there is considerable interest and that improvements in this area might
be welcome, be they documentation to help people get their installation
switching fast or improving the code.

Back to my original question: why are some mythtv installs changing
channels faster than others ?  What mythtv settings affect channel
changing speeds.

FWIW, I'll probably take what I get from these answers and start
searching in the code as to why they make a difference.

Thanks !