[mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 18:00:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I find it interesting that this topic has been "discussed to death" and
> yet it remains a source of contention.  That would seem to imply that
> there is considerable interest and that improvements in this area might
> be welcome, be they documentation to help people get their installation
> switching fast or improving the code.

Talk is cheap. People bitch about how easy it would be to do X or Y or
Z and they expect other people to do it. If you're serious about
changing things, the best way to get developer support is to start
changing it rather then "I haven't look at the code yet, so spend your
time figuring out things for me, ok?"

I mean really, you're dealing with so many variables here that are
outside of myth that you can hardly blame myth without testing things
yourself.

Like I said, it takes my ir blaster script a long time to run, because
I slowed it down so my cable box doesn't miss presses. That's not
myth's fault, but it adds into the overall time that channel changing
takes.

My PVR card buffers internally in itself at least half a second,
that's a hardware issue that's not myth's fault and nothing can be
done about it.

There's no easy or simple fix for this issue. In fact, it's quite
likely not entirely myth's fault. That is why we don't have
documentation on how to fix it, as there's certain things that can't
be fixed, and the list of possibilities are huge.

This is a worthless discussion.