[mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Mark Buechler mark.buechler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 18:31:05 UTC 2008

Hi

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Matt Hakim <thepigs at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thank you for this detailed answer.  I'll go through it in the next day
> > or so and comment.
>
> I agree about the channel change time -- about 5 sec. Then again, I
> find the whole UI quite slow in 0.21 fixes. I can see the widgets
> redraw themselves.
> Your options are: 1. fix it. 2. write your own linux based PVR that's
> optimised for watching live TV. 3. Buy a PVR.
> There's no point asking the same question over and over again...

Several months ago I submitted a patch which made the various buffers in
MythTV configurable with a number (IO multiplier) from 2 to 6 per storage
group. Depending on the speed of your system & storage, setting this to a 2
or 3 really speeds up channel changing, but can break very low bandwidth
streams like DVB radio if set to 2 for LiveTV.

I believe the ticket is still open but likely the patch won't apply cleanly
to trunk.

- Mark.