[mythtv] What other people tell me about CC...

Bert Haverkamp bert at bertenselena.net
Wed Oct 22 19:05:34 UTC 2008

2008/10/22 Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>:
> An anonymous coward sent me this...  comments below.
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:35 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> > a) I want to talk about modifying and benchmarking code.  This is
>> > clearly a dev issue, not a user issue.
>>
>> This would be, if certain other steps have been done. Namely looking
>> at the code, or even running the software once or twice, or
>> researching the options out there to fix it...
>
> It doesn't matter if I have run the code or not.  I want to ask the
> developer group a development question about the code and I wanted to
> share USER comments with the development group.
>
> Do you think the USER group can answer my question about code
> profiling ?   Do you think a USER would even know what code profiling
> is ?
>
> Do you think the USER group needs to hear how the USER group feels about
> the developers ?   Nope.  The developers need to hear how the USER group
> feels about things.
>
>> > b) The feedback I relayed in this specific thread was directed to
> the
>> > developers.
>>
>> Mythtv has been stated as 'By Developers, For Developers'. It's not
>> that we don't care, but it's all our free time. It's not costing them
>> anything to run or use, they should have no expectations from us.
>
> Gee, I wonder why open source software isn't more accepted by mainstream
> computer users ?
>
> Keep up with that attitude and you are going to have a forked project on
> your hands.  How about a mythtv "for the general public" ?
>
>> > Is it me or is there a real developer attitude on this project ?
>>
>> So some random guy comes onto our list, first thing he does is admit
>> he never has even ran our software, nor looked at the code, but heard
>> from some people that our channel changing sucks and he wants us to
>> give him detailed information on how to fix it...
>
> Yeah.  Its called not accepting the status quo.
>
> "detailed information" ?   Are you kidding me ?  Thus far I have asked
> what the call stack looks like and if anyone has profiled the code.
> The dev group has spend FAR, FAR more time complaining and resisting my
> efforts than it has helping with the provision of information.
>
> Honestly, that's
>> expecting a metric ton from a bunch of volunteers who have lives
>> outside of the project, and when he was told as such, he gets pissy
>> and refuses to take it to the proper mailing list...
>
> a) The proper mailing list is DEV, not USER.  PERIOD.  *YOU* might not
> like that, and if so, ignore the topic.  This is a DEVELOPMENT effort,
> not a USER effort, even if it does turn out that the development is
> required in the USER guide, rather than in code.
>
> b) We are all volunteers and we all have lives outside the project.   Do
> you want MORE developers working on mythtv or less ?  If you want MORE
> help then I suggest you learn how to play nicely when someone NEW asks a
> [...]

Just a thumbs up for the attempt to speed up channel changes. I'd like
to put in my help where I can if needed.
I'd love to use the mythtv box for basic zapping.

Please lets pass the the station of calling names and attitudes.
Yes there is a definite developer attitude on this list, but mostly in
the "show me the code" sense.

If they see you are serious about this and are getting results the
attitude will change.
So please keep the content mails on the topic and ignore the rest for
the moment. Lets move and show them the code.

Do you have a script that we can run to benchmark channel changes? I
can run this on 2 machines, one is analog, the other dvb-c. Currently
I see ~5-7 sec channel change times overall. But we need to drill down
to see where the delay is coming from.

Bert