[mythtv] MythArchive bugs and "fixes"

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Oct 24 17:54:19 UTC 2008

Martin van Es wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 00:07, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>> Martin van Es wrote:
>>
>>> 1. mythreplex fails because the audio stream was not correctly
>>> detected by mythburn.py. After some debugging it turns out that
>>> mytharchivehelper writes lower-case types in the streaminfo.xml, but
>>> mythburner.py strictly looks for AC3 and MP2 (capitals). As a result,
>>> no valid audio stream is found and the demux fails. Changing all
>>> capital references to lowercase ones in mythburner.py fixed this
>>> problem.
>>>

>> Are you sure about that?
>>

> Well... I'm sure about the fact that mythreplex didn't die in a
> "floating point exception" anymore after the changes. What I saw from
> debugging output is that it found a valid audio stream, and the
> commandline changed from "-v 224 -a 192" to only "-v 224". I have no
> idea if this is wanted behaviour, but like I said: mythreplex didn't
> choke anymore, at least not violently. I DID choke silently like I
> wrote.

"-v 224 -a 192" is correct or at least you want something similar.  That part of the script hasn't changed much in ages and it's such a fundamental part that if it was broken I'd know about by now.

>> Personally I've never had any problem with  mythreplex but  I know it
>> can break the audio sync for a few people.
>>

> I tried to manually run mythreplex on my pvr-500 recording but I
> couldn't get it to start properly. I didn't quite understand the logic
> behind the video and audio stream selection, but a little reading in
> the mythburner code should help I guess.

Just thought of something somebody else told me about mythreplex that
you could try. Look in the script for the deMultiplexMPEG2File()
function and in the mythreplex command line remove the '--fix_sync'
parameter.

If it appear to work make sure you try a file with lots of commercials
and set MythArchive to remove them and then when playing the DVD check
the audio is still in sync with the video especially near the end. If
you could do the same using m2psd and check that DVD for any audio sync
problems as well that would be great :-)
>> This is the first I've heard it  looping endlessly though.
>>

> I don't really know if it's looping. I only know it doesn't end in a
> timely manner and writes LOTS of the 'appending 1 frame' messages to
> stderr (and thus to mythburner.log).
>

>>  The script also supports using projectx
>> as an alternative to using mythtranscode/mythreplex. Did you try that?
>>

> No, I didn't find it in the debian repository and a quick search
> learned it's a java-based tool  (that's what I found) and I didn't
> feel like bloating my system.
>

>> m2psd looks interesting but unfortunately it's not a real replacement
>> for mythreplex though,
>>

> I realise that, since it's a quick 'n dirty solution for pvr-150 based
> recordings. In that sense perfect for me.
>

>> doesn't support TS streams for one thing and it
>> doesn't look like you can select which audio stream you get.
>>

> I just thought maybe mythreplex could be "enhanced" with some logic in
> m2psd for the case the stream is really only a simple video+audio one?
> Maybe an extra alternative in the mytharchive settings for pvr-150 (et
> al) users?

If I did this I'd probably add it to myhharchivehelper it's certainly
small enough to  do that but I still need convincing it can keep
everything in sync as well as mythreplex does (at least  for me).  It
would  probably be better to fix  mythreplex if it has a problem rather
than add another tool that probably has it's own share of bugs.

> Martin

Paul H.