[mythtv] Profiling mythtv Channel Changes...

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Oct 25 21:15:19 UTC 2008

Linuxguy123 wrote:
>>> Tell me more.
>> for you: RTFM
>
> a) This is the first time that anyone has actually told me that some
> form of logging is built into mythtv.  Thank you.  Was that so hard ?

I've just read this entire thread and this statement totally sums up why
you've been getting such a cold reception so far.

Say I went along to a car showroom with a view to buying a new car. I'd
imagine that when the salesman came along to help me find the right car,
and I happened to let him know that I don't know how to drive, that he'd
be pretty pissed off. If I took two hours of his time asking him what
this switch does and what that pedal does, he'd have wasted his valuable
time which he could have spent with several real customers who may have
earned him valuable commission. The time he spent with me *cost* that
salesman. Just like the time *cost* people commit to replying to
messages on this list. Talk is *not* cheap. It takes people considerable
time to read and reply in details to queries. Unless you prove yourself
first by getting driving lessons and actually having a clue about how to
drive the car you are about to buy you will not be taken seriously.

The fact that you don't even know the basics about running and using
mythtv is quite simply shocking. This is a development list and you are
expected to have a fairly high level of user-experience to be part of
that. You *have* to be a user before you are a developer, and to ask for
people to spend time answering your questions before showing even the
most basic commitment is actually quite rude and selfish.

The -users list in mythtv is quite different to a lot of other projects.
The users are very knowledgeable and more than a little technical. You
really need to go through the paces there first, before starting this
topic again as a developer.

I really hope you do do this, and please don't take my comments as any
kind of insult to you or your efforts. It's just an honest response to
what I've read. I honestly thing you are being unreasonable to start
asking such questions on a development list when you've never even run
the software before. If you take a detached step back and think about it
for a little while, I hope you feel the same.

And as a general comment on social interaction, replying to people with
:rolleyes is not exactly how I would personally go about myself to new
potential colleagues/collaborators. Some of people you have done this to
are core developers and key people in this project. This will not help
you get taken seriously and makes you come across as somewhat insolent.
I'm not suggesting that such responses are not always merited, but
discretion is the better par of valour.

Good luck. I would like to use my myth as a live TV system more too so
would appreciate any optimisations you and any others can make.

All the best

Col

--

Colin Guthrie