[mythtv] upnp video groupings

xavier hervy xavier.hervy at bluebottle.com
Wed Sep 24 17:08:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 13:19 -0300, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
> > 9 month ago (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/15257) the table
> > videometadata have been replace by a very uncomplete upnpmedia table
>

>  The upnpmedia is not a replacement at all. It's just a automatically
> updating seperate list. Technically the backend has no concept
> of the videometadata table as it's only used by the frontend
> plugin.
>
> videometadata is only updated when someone goes into the video manager
> and scans for videos, which is not ideal for most users
> when they just want to drop a file into place and have it "magically"
> appear on their upnp player.
I get it now

> > Is the compatibility for the Xbox360 justify a new table and less
>
>  The upnpmedia table has nothing specifically to do with the xbox360 at all.
> It's just a temporary storage location. If mythvideo were
> automatically scanning for videos on it's own then the table could disappear.
> But you also have to them consider that the upnp media is being served by
> the backend and not the frontend which actually runs mythvideo.
It is the same for mythmusic which is a mythfrontend plugin not
mythbackend

> > Is it possible to revert back ?
>
> No, unless you are also changing things to auto update videometadata
> as a backend process instead of the current manually frontend process. Then
> sure go ahead. In fact I'd prefer to see something like that happen anyway :)
Two way to do this:
-I can write in videometadata instead of upnpmedia. It is quick but
dirty.
-create a "libmythvideo" library which can handle the scan and the
querying. Ideally mythvideo should not require any sql directly. It
would make things much more consistant as well as this could some how be
use by mythweb too (I don't know how mythweb handle the scan, I will
have a look). It would make the upnp grouping very easy to as all the
stuff is already written. But would it be accepted ?

Xavier