[mythtv] Windows Status?

Jay Modi jaymode at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 23:51:19 UTC 2008

Warning: This is somewhat of a long read.

I have been playing around with the Windows builds. I haven't been testing
it much before this other than verifying builds and ability to run the
program. I would like to get involved with development on the Win32 side. I
know there are some known bugs but I did not find any bug reports in Trac.
Is trac an acceptable place for filing bug without any fix at all, so others
can be made aware of the bugs?

The last mailing list item I saw on what features were missing, was this
one:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/317737
where Andrei Tanas says:

> I don't believe it would either require a major architecture change to use
> DShow decoders and video rendering, but it is a major task.
>
> Several things are still missing: I have not tried to figure out whether
> it's possible to access the same video folders that Linux frontends use
> after "storage groups" have been implemented.
>
> Some features definitely don't work: DVD playback (although DVD ISO images
> play perfectly), CDDA in mythmusic, multichannel audio (though it should
be
> fairly easy to implement), to name some.

In my playing around with the frontend on Win32, I have noticed that the
video does not seem to be de-interlaced. I think that is a big limitation
for the frontend. Maybe something is wrong in my configuration? I usually
see something along the lines of "filter linear blend could not be found" in
the console output.

I noticed that while navigating the setup screens and other items on the
menu screens, it is very hard to tell which buttons are selected. When I am
trying to navigate, it is like I am blindly guessing because I can not tell
whether a button is selected or not. This is with the default theme.

I just updated to the latest revision today (r18405) and it built. However,
none of the text on the menus is shown. I am not sure what caused this to
happen. It may have to do with this message I am seeing:
2008-09-25 19:18:03.593 Primary screen: 0.
2008-09-25 19:18:03.593 Using screen 0, 1280x1024 at 0,0
2008-09-25 19:18:03.593 Switching to square mode (G.A.N.T)
2008-09-25 19:18:03.625 Using the Qt painter
C:/mythtv/build/share/mythtv/themes/G.A.N.T/base.xml
2008-09-25 19:18:04.312 Unable to load window 'MythProgressDialog' from base
2008-09-25 19:18:04.390 Unable to load window 'MythProgressDialog' from base

The last item I have noticed is that the frontend can not view LiveTV. I can
watch recordings without any issues but when trying view LiveTV, I get a
black screen and I can not change the source card using the "Y" key. I can
try to change channels but it does not work for me.

I have experienced a couple of crashes also and want to debug but I have
primarily been a Windows developer using limited MSVC. So I do not know much
about getting a backtrace to help out. I tried the obvious things to me:
gdb mythfrontend -> then typing run at the gdb prompt
gdb -> trace exec mythfrontend at the gdb prompt
gdb mythfrontend -x

None of these items worked for me. I must be missing something. Using a
commands file may help me according to this:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html

Would following that put me on the right track for debugging the frontend on
Windows?

Any other known issues with the windows port?