[mythtv] Display of on screen epg

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 8 21:01:49 UTC 2009

On Apr 8, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Erik Liin Dansbo wrote:

> Hi,
> I am working on my own version of a DVR. I have used the mythtv
> platform as an inspiration.
> The trouble for me is that I cant figure out how the on screen
> display of the EPG works. You know when you change a channel, you
> can see what is on that channel at the moment. Plus the explicit
> guide function.

Are you asking where in the source code the on screen display is? I
know the osd* files in mythtv/libs/libmythtv have everything you need
to make the on screen display work and guidegrid.h file in mythtv/libs/
libmythtv has everything needed to display the electronic program guide.

> I know that Mythtv uses mplayer as its default video player.

You are mistaken. MythTV uses its own internal player as its default
video player.

> Is Mythtv using a separate program to display the needed information
> from the EPG and in that case which?

No, like everything else it is built in. Luckily you have access to
this and all of the source code.

-Brad

P.S. I'm neither a developer nor am I "pretending to be one". I just
used grep to look through the source code.