[mythtv] License

Robert Swain robert.swain at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 09:42:51 UTC 2009

On 9/4/09 09:31, Myth TV wrote:
> /Hi all,
> is there any commercial license of MythTV, besides GNU GPL?
> Is there any way of using MythTV code in the development of, for
> example, the software of a SetTopBox, without having to release this new
> software under the terms of GPL?
> Thanks a lot/
> //
> I was looking for a commercial license or any LEGAL way to use the code,
> without any intention to violate anything. If you think (or know) it's
> imposible a good answer would be "no", nothing else. My intention was
> not to get a definitive answer, only to get opinions about the technical
> aspects of the matter.

The first response gave you your 'no'. That 'no' was expressing that the
authors are not willing to offer an alternative license for commercial
customers on request.

In conclusion, either the relevant parts of your software would have to
adhere to the GPL, or you cannot use MythTV. Quite simple really and no
need for inflammatory remarks.

Regards,
Rob