[mythtv] License

Mr. Demeanour mrdemeanour at jackpot.uk.net
Thu Apr 9 10:44:08 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> I didn't see any inflammatory remarks from the original poster.

Nor me - just a bit defensive.

> I did see inflammatory response from some posters here.

I don't think "inflammatory" is fair. People are understandably troubled
by the prospect of someone trying to make money out of their work, when
they make none; and yet not making their improvements available to others.

[snip]

> Especially, when I'm sure most of the people who answered here didn't
>  ever contribute to the mythtv project ...

"Sure"? Strong claim, considering the number of projects that mythtv
depends on.

===
I really think the OP should look again at using MythTV under the GPL
licence, and feeding back into the project. After all, any competitor
who wanted to re-use his work in their own product would suffer under
the same restrictions. And there are ways in which he could combine
added value of his own with MythTV, without having to GPL his work;
Linux vendors such as Red Hat do this kind of thing routinely. The
result is that they contribute to GPL projects, AND they get proprietary
code that enhances their business offering. Everybody wins.

--
MrD.