[mythtv] No Start with Pulse Audio (Changeset 20310)

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 19:20:09 UTC 2009

On Friday 10 April 2009 19:52:41 Petr Stehlik wrote:
> I see. How about the "latency interpolation" and "accurate measurement"?
> That sounds like MythTV could know how much to delay the video to get
> the lip sync OK. Though even if it was constant (or predictable) it
> would still slow everything down (like channel switching time that most
> people are so sensitive about) by the Pulse Audio latency, right? So
> it's unacceptable for MythTV, anyway.

We'd have to access PulseAudio directly to use it, although there is a patch
for that, in it's current form it doesn't add this support. Plus you've still
got to get people to configure for PulseAudio and yes, you'll get increased
delays starting playback, switching channels, changing tracks in mythmusic etc
All of which is extremely unacceptable IMHO

> Oh. It's third (or fourth?) sound daemon for Linux in last 10 years,
> invented to fix all bugs of the previous solutions, and they still
> cannot get it done right? :-)

Pretty much, since most of the problems are with the underlying kernel sound
system - aka ALSA. There are a lot of people who'd like to see the death of
ALSA in favour of something like OSS4.

PulseAudio is just attempting to paper over the cracks, but ALSA has some big
cracks .... grand canyon big.
--
Stuart Morgan