[mythtv] No Start with Pulse Audio (Changeset 20310)

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Apr 12 22:53:38 UTC 2009

'Twas brillig, and Stuart Morgan at 10/04/09 20:20 did gyre and gimble:
>> Oh. It's third (or fourth?) sound daemon for Linux in last 10 years,
>> invented to fix all bugs of the previous solutions, and they still
>> cannot get it done right? :-)
>
> Pretty much, since most of the problems are with the underlying kernel sound
> system - aka ALSA. There are a lot of people who'd like to see the death of
> ALSA in favour of something like OSS4.
>
> PulseAudio is just attempting to paper over the cracks, but ALSA has some big
> cracks .... grand canyon big.

Sorry for not replying on this topic before. I generally keep up-to-date
with this list, but I've not looked for a while.

If there is anything I can do here, please let me know. I do quite a bit
of hacking on pulseaudio, so any problem you're having, I can try and
sort things out.

I certainly believe that a better solution than just exiting when pulse
is enabled can be found!

While I agree that alsa does have some problems, its a bit unfair to
classify pulse as just wallpaper! It's doing it's own job that is
distinct and separate from ALSA. But I digress.

Is there a specific problem with the pulseaudio support patch? If so,
perhaps I can help make it better if I can be told what's wrong. Would
detecting pulse and switching to that output system be acceptable?

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
myth(at)colin.guthr.ie