[mythtv] Parse errors when importing into KDevelop

D C mykro76 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 03:14:22 UTC 2009

I'm interested in making a guide to getting started with mythtv in various
IDEs.

It seemed from earlier posts that I should be able to import mythtv easily
into KDevelop.

I thought I'd post my experience, which wasn't that smooth, and see if
anyone could point me on the right track.

Ubuntu 8.10, KDevelop 3.5.3.

I decided to start with the "mythtv" package.

- Project | Import Existing Project
- select directory: {...}/trunk/mythtv  ( {...} is my notation for the base
directory )
- project name defaults to "mythtv" (ok)
- project type defaults to "Qt C++ Application (QMake based)"
  (BUT: if I leave it as this type, I'll be prompted to choose a qt3
directory, which isn't appropriate for mythtv trunk)
- change project type to "Qt4 C++ Application (QMake4 based)"
- proceed with import.  I then receive these popup errors:
    "Couldn't parse project file: {...}/trunk/mythtv/libs/libs.pro"
    "Couldn't parse project file: {...}/trunk/config.mak"
    "Couldn't parse project file: {...}/trunk/settings.pro"  (last two
repeated several times)
    "Couldn't parse project file: {...}/trunk/mythtv/config/config.pro"
- Then the KDevelop status bar says "Loading project plugins" then "Project
loaded".

I had a look at libs.pro.  It begins:
    include (../config.mak)
    include (../settings.pro)

It seems that KDevelop thinks these are relative to the nominated project
directory (/trunk/mythtv), and not to the directory of the libs.pro file
(/trun/mythtv/libs/).

Is this a bug in KDevelop, or is there something that can be tidied up in
mythtv so it imports cleanly?

thanks for any feedback you can offer.