[mythtv] Paid for Plugin dev?

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 10:43:39 UTC 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009 11:07:25 Peter Schachte wrote:
> Daniel, I agree with your points 1 and 3, but I think a fair proportion of
> the Myth users in households with users with disparate tastes probably
> would trouble to use a multi-user facility if it were implemented well,
> because the benefits could be quite significant, and the inconvenience
> could be kept low.

Lets leave the multi-user ideas out of it for now, support for that can be
added in retrospectively. Trying to piggyback that feature on top of the
recommendations system will just sink both, I'll guarantee it.

More generally, unless you are willing to write the code then entering this
discussion isn't going to achieve anything. Most likely the weight of
conflicting ideas, opinions and feature requests will derail things and you'll
never see it completed. The same thing happens time after time.

To the person who eventually does the work - people will love this feature in
whatever form it takes, unless you ask for their opinions first. The moment
you start asking for ideas people start to build up their expectations, when
you inevitably have to ignore or dismiss them the final product becomes a
source of disappointment. It's funny how that works but it applies in a more
general way, surprise someone with a vanilla icecream, they'll be grateful and
happy, but ask them what flavour they'd like first (chocolate) and then give
them vanilla ...
--
Stuart Morgan