[mythtv] MythPhone - any ongoing activities on this?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Dec 2 21:32:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Stephen Boddy
<stephen.boddy at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 19:31 +0100, Blazej Lewcio wrote:
>> I see. I wanted to check the current situation, and let the people
>> know about the intention ...
>>
>> Starting with audio only is intended to keep things simple at the
>> beginning.
>
> Hi, being a bit cheeky here, but... Any chance you could look at the
> possibility of using Telepathy instead of the other library? I'm not a
> dev, so I may be misunderstanding how this ties together, but wouldn't
> this simplify the plugin greatly (contact management handled elsewhere,
> plugin just has to handle call make/receive). Also, as
> MSN/Yahoo/GoogleTalk/Skype audio/video get implemented, so your plugin
> would gain them. Both primary FLOSS desktops seem to be moving toward
> this framework. This makes sense to me, but you would have much more
> idea.

I was wondering the same thing... Ubuntu just switched their default
messenger from pidgin to empathy, and I believe that one of the
reasons given was support for telepathy (and its support for video).

http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/

As a bonus, the fact it uses d-bus might fit in with some long term
MythTV design goals.  Or I may just be misunderstanding something.

   Marc