[mythtv] Any point in suggesting a switch to git...

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Mon Dec 14 16:19:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:15:24PM +0000, Ed W wrote:
> Expecting a negative reaction since it's a change to the status quo, but
> if someone doesn't ask then no one knows we care...
>
> Is there any interest in migrating to git, or perhaps maintaining an
> automatically synced git repo matching svn? (or some other distributed
> vcs system, would be happy with mercurial/bazaar at a pinch?)

I have an automatically synced git svn mirror of the mythtv svn
repository at http://git.jannau.net/git/mythtv.complete/

> Either you know all about "git"and "get it" or you don't, so I won't
> spend too long pushing a rock up-hill.  The basic use case is that at
> least "I" maintain a private fork of mythtv with some local patches and
> a DVCS allows me to easily maintain my own patch set locally whilst
> still tracking trunk.  Personally I also believe it encourages
> development and innovation because it's much easier to develop locally,
> then prepare a patchset and submit it...

I maintain my not yet committed changes in git branches which eases
development for my.

> I believe trac has some ability to integrate with git, but I believe the
> integration is less high quality than the svn integration?  Perhaps it
> would be an acceptable halfway house to have an official git repo which
> syncs say half hourly with the svn repo?  If the uptake were positive it
> would be a sign of interest in the idea?

The commit mails trigger the sync of my repo (with a 5 minute grace
period).

> Can I suggest perhaps that github is a good free git repo implementation?

I prefer self controlled hardware for infrastructure.

Janne