[mythtv] Custom frontend and mythtv protocol

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Fri Dec 25 12:27:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm working on a desktop-based, pure-Qt frontend for MythTV, MythQ (
http://gitorious.org/mythq).
The actual objective is to have a drop-in replacement for mythweb, that I
use everyday on my Windows desktop.

Now, I think (like others, I assume), that having to have a mysql connection
to the main MythTV database to do stuff like scheduling a recording is not
good. I'd like to have a one port socket connection to the MythTV machine to
do everything, which is not possible with the current state of the MythTV
protocol.

There is 2 solutions to this:

1) Extend the MythTV protocol to be able to do everything a frontend should
do without a mysql connection;

2) Write a third-tier component running on the backend which extend the
MythTV protocol when mysql connections are required and just do a
passthrough when the current protocol allows it.

Obviously 1) would be the preferred solution but before spending time
digging into and patching MythBackend, I'd like to be sure that my patches
will be accepted into trunk, otherwise this would just be wasted time.

What is the MythTV dev community feeling about this?
If the community basically agrees on the 1) solution, I'd submit in the
coming days a basic patch for a "TOGGLE_AUTOEXPIRE" protocol command, as a
POC.

- Chris -