[mythtv] Questions on #6138 (HDHomeRun multirec)

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Feb 4 21:50:52 UTC 2009

* On Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 11:21:05AM -0600, Bill Cizek wrote:
> If necessary, I'll change it Chris, but I think you're misreading this
> functionality and it's impact:
>
> The GetStats() calls are made only at the start and end of a recording;
> as such these should cause minimal impact on performance and load.

OK.  I hadn't applied the patch yet and looked at the patched output.
I did misread it it sounds like.

> The reason I made these VB_GENERAL is because VB_RECORD spits a slew of
> other
> messages which are useful for debugging a known problem but less useful
> for day to day usage.

If they only print a few times I'm not adamant about it, but most people
wouldn't see these numbers as useful either in the general logs.  A
quick grep reveals only a few VB_GENERAL log messages in all the
recorder cpp files.  I misread the verboseness of the patch, so I'll let
Daniel decide on this when he merges it in.

> The Stats outputs are one-liners which are useful if something goes
> wrong and you want
> to look back to see what happened.

You could also use the log functionality in the database for this as well
which would allow people to view the stats right from mythfrontend's
status page.

> If you guys deem it necessary I'll make the appropriate changes. The other
> patches should be pretty clean.

I'll shut up and let Daniel decide.  I should have applied (and
benefited from) the patch before commenting. :)  Thanks for your work on
this.  I looked into this a while back and didn't have time to wrap my
head around the multirec differences enough to attempt this patch.  I
know I can benefit from it because I think most of the local stations I
record from are available over 2 QAM channels from my cable provider
where I have my HDHR hooked up to.

--
Chris