[mythtv] New thetvdb.com query engine (grabber)

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:28:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/9 Doug Vaughan <r.d.vaughan at rogers.com>:
>> I submitted a new query engine (grabber) called ttvdb.py which queries
>> thetvdb.com wiki.
>> The functionality is similar to tmdb.pl
>>
>> Please see ticket http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6242 for details and
>> attached python script.
>>
>> This is my first submission. Suggestions and enhancement requests are
>> welcome.
>
> Did you use similar function/class structure to the original imdbpy.py script ?
>
> That way it would allow your grabber to easily work as a replacement
> of imdbpy with tool like find_meta.py and fetch_poster.py
>
> find_meta is great for automating the scanning of a directory
>
> Jean-Yves

If you are curious about the structure, why not just look at the
script?  His ticket uses identical command line switches as the
existing tmdb.pl (and former imdb.pl) script, making it a drop-in
replacement for MythVideo's UI grabber.  This is very useful for
future functionality which will allow multiple grabbers within the UI.
 Hads has already posted his command line batch updater for TMDB and
TTVDB, which may be more like what you would like.  Doug's submission
is much more helpful for every day myth use as it is a direct parallel
to the "real" script used in the UI.  When multiple grabbers are
allowed and assignable within the UI, Doug's script will be perfect
for the purpose.

In my opinion, it is wasted effort to keep reinventing the wheel with
batch-update scripts and cron'ed jobs.  If you want to contribute
directly to the "official" functionality, I suggest pinging Anduin for
where he would like to see the grabber functionality *in the UI*
going.  I know he has been putting in a lot of work lately on
generalizing metadata download for exactly this purpose.  In my
opinion the sooner generalized metadata download, multiple grabber
scripts, and directory preferences for grabbers are implemented, the
sooner such scripts become irrelevant.  So why not "measure twice, cut
once" as my mother would say?  If not, I'm perfectly happy to have
people continue to write up command line scripts and hacks, and
ultimately I'll take a stab at doing all of the above myself-- but why
not have it done that much sooner by all getting on the same page and
getting the work done?

Robert