[mythtv] scheduling, starttime accuracy

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Thu Feb 12 05:27:26 UTC 2009

I am trying to share commercial block markup data with someone local,
and am having problems with the accuracy of the cutlists.

It seems that my recordings are often up to 3s offset with his
cutlist data. Looking at the recorded table, the starttime is
_always_ an integral minute (i.e. 20:27:00, 21:30:00).

Haven't looked yet, but suspect its just the way the code works.
e.g. Recording 1 ends at 8:30. Recording 2 starts at 8:30 on
the same card, The scheduler and file IO takes 3sec to create
a new recording file, update the database, et c., but the start
time is recorded as the scheduled time of 8:30.

Proposals:

1) Use the real starttime in the recording classes. e.g. 8:30:02
Con: May break things that expect starttime to be the :00,
      or the scheduled time minus preroll

2) Add another column, like realstarttime. e.g. 8:30:02.874

3) For true interoperability, use the digital stream's timecode,
or analogue VBI/teletext/etc data, if available and not too
divergent from local time.

Thoughts? I am tempted to implement at least 1 soon,
simply because it seems the "correct" behavior.

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au| "Peacemaking is our profession"|
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia |Motto of Burpelson Airforce Base|