[mythtv] Win32 backend ideas? (Was: Win32-Packager fails to compile QT4)

buzz davidbuzz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:08:34 UTC 2009

Jon,
the mythbackend traditionally relies *nearly 100% on the V4L2 ( video for
Linux) layer .   Clearly V4L needs 'L'inux.

There was some discussion on the -dev list back in may last year, where I
was trying to get feedback on the "best way" to approach the problem. ..
the discussion started with this post :

I said (*), because there is support for firewire devices, and network-based
devices like HDHomeRun which don't use V4L/2 whch could theoretically become
supported under windows fairly easily ...but these have never been tried at
this time.

The linux developers who are "in the know" mostly recommended that the
HDHomeRun API is the recommended place to start in this case, for anyone
that wants to try, and the original win32 developer (Andre Tanas) said that
" the difficulty level is not too high and ... having some background with
DirectShow, I think it's not going to be too hard to implement windows mpeg
recorder. Whether I'm going to have time to do it before the next release is
another question though."

So that's where it stands, presently.   If you have any DirectShow
background, you might like to go that route, otherwise people recommend
getting a 'HDHomeRun' and giving that a shot.

Perhaps Andre is listening, and has more time now for a proof-of-concept?
:-)

Buzz