[mythtv] HDHR Error Messages

Bill Cizek cizek at rcn.com
Tue Jul 14 19:21:07 UTC 2009

> I recently installed Ubunto 9.04 (previously using 6.10) which
> required me to update my MythTV source to the latest trunk (previous
> version wouldn't compile with the new libraries).  After some
> painstaking work, I got everything working again except that my log
> files are filling up with new error mesages that I have never seen
> before.  The most obtrusive one appears to be related to my HDHomerun
> turners.  I get the following type of message as often as every 100ms
> during recording:
>
> 2009-07-12 10:28:06.689 HDHRSH(1013A1B7-1): RunTS(): data_length =
> 7896 remainder = 188
>
> It occurs on both tuners but doesn't appear to affect the quality of
> the recording.  I have the most recent HDHR firmware (April 2009)
> installed.

Ken,

I don't know what's up with that, but I've attached two patches that
might help.

First, if you just want to get rid of the error message use
"simplefix.patch".  It changes the log message from IMPORTANT to RECORD
so it won't be printed out.

Second, if you're good with tools and want a better look at the
recording process, use "134-hdhr.recstats.trunk.9.patch".  It logs the
HDHR statistics at the end of the recording.  You'll get lines like this:

    2009-07-14 11:23:30.801 HDHRRec(41): HDHR Stats: pkts=219453 hwm=215
KB Errors: net=0 trnsprt=0 seq=0 ovflow=0
    2009-07-14 11:25:27.357 HDHRRec(43): HDHR Stats: pkts=122871 hwm=215
KB Errors: net=0 trnsprt=0 seq=0 ovflow=0

These stats are directly from the HDHR library and display counts of
net, transport and sequence errors, as well as internal buffer
overflows.  I don't really know what they mean, but smaller number are
better (you should check the hdhomerun docs for specifics).  Any
significant non-zero values generally mean missing or corrupt data,
either of which could result in your original error.

Two caveats.  These stats don't work for liveTV, and I use fixes, so the
134 patch might be a little flaky but it should work and shouldn't hurt
anything.

-Bill