[mythtv] New MythTV interface announced!!

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 08:14:30 UTC 2009

Dear Rob

Please accept our apologies we intended no offence. A group of mythtv users
have been discussing what changes in user interface we'd like to see. We all
work in IT in various areas from ui design to analysis, none of as are web
coders.

We have spent some time on this working through the design, as you well know
good ui design is never a accident.

We'd like to contribute this design to the community and we'd like to see it
realised so much we're prepared to throw a bit of money at it, hoping thata
it would start a community around it. Maybe that was the wrong way to go
about it and for that we're sorry.

With regard to the bounty if there was an interest we'd find a site to
manage the bounty there is no subterfuge here. :-)

I don't want a flame war, iwe just want to see our contribution realised and
improve mythtv for everyone.

Mythtv is great, but as with everything it can also be improved, most
projects get upset when users moan and don't do anything about it!

So, we have done something about it, or at least were trying!

I hope you'll have a read of the document and come on board with the
project; this ui doesn't really compete with anything that is currently part
of mythtv and both paradigms can exist side by side, and certainly will as
everyones situation is different.

With extensions to the telnet interface it is concievable that this user
interface could be created as a part of the frontend.

Hope to speak about this more with you and the community.

Please excuse brevity and mistakes, this email was composed on a mobile
phone.

Thanks and regards,
Richard Morton

On Jun 28, 2009 8:10 PM, "Rob Smith" <kormoc at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Richard Morton<richard.e.morton at gmail.com>
wrote: > We have just a...

First, your url is wrong, it's http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTouchMote

Second, who is we? As you're not a part of the mythtv development team
and using we on this list in that fashion can come across as an
attempt to say the mythtv development team is announcing, which is not
the case.

Third, there's no information on the bounty, and nothing on what
happens to other people's money if they send it to you and the project
never happens. Until there's a bit of oversight, I would very strongly
recommend that no-one send you money.

Fourth, a bounty doesn't really entice people if they don't know how much it
is.

Fifth, MythUI is partially touchscreen accessible already, work could
continue on the core app in that direction rather then forking off
another version.

Sixth, you haven't even addressed the issue that targeting certain
handheld devices, the recorded media might not work on the device
(hdpvr captures, etc). It seems like you keep making the assumption
that the media will be playable on the device, that's not a safe
assumption.

Seventh, why replace mythweb as part of your app? Just add a
json/xml/whatever template to mythweb and use the core objects there
rather then reinvent that piece again