[mythtv] iPhone streaming implementation

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 21:32:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Chase Douglas
<chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> The iPhone cannot "live" stream a file hosted on a website. It can only
> progressively stream a static file. This means the iPhone can stream a
> complete transcoding of an episode, but not live tv. The problem lies in
> streaming transport. I can tell you for certain right now (assuming Apple
> doesn't change their mind this late in the game) that the iPhone "live"
> streaming implementation requires more than just throwing up an encoded file
> on a website. Aside from Apple's implementation, if hosting a streaming file
> on a website adequately dealt with every stream transport issue then we
> would have no need for protocols like rtp, rtsp, or mms.
>
> Note that everything hinges on the fact that this is "live" streaming.

Actually it can with 3.0. See the "HTTP Live Streaming" documentation
on apple's site. It details mpeg2 transport streaming via http. It
will stream live tv just fine with a small modification of the
streaming module as mpeg-2 ts done in the recommended 10 second chunks
is very simple and fast.