[mythtv] iPhone Streaming Specification

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:03:08 UTC 2009

I recently posted details of my work on trying to make an iPhone
frontend. I left many of the implementation details for streaming out
because I was (and still am) under an NDA over iPhone OS 3.0. However,
Apple today published an Internet-Draft of their streaming
implementation, thus nullifying the NDA coverage of the streaming
implementation. For anyone interested in the details, they can be
found here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-pantos-http-live-streaming/

A brief update on my progress:

I've been using some code written by Chris Pinkham that allows for
recordings to be transcoded using ffmpeg. I then modified
mythtranscode so it can transcode live tv chains. To stream to the
device, I wrote a segmenter which sets up a stream based on Apple's
proposed standard.  This past week everything has been falling into
place; I can now transcode live tv and play it back on my iPhone. All
of this is hacked together at this point though. A lot of effort is
still needed to make it "just work". I don't even have much of an
iPhone app at this point.

For my development I've been using my own mythtv svn repo. If anyone
cares to take a look at my changes, they can find them here:

http://trac.assembla.com/legend/log/mythtv/transcode-br

Thanks,
Chase Douglas