[mythtv] Snow Leopard + Mythfrontend

Alex Ferrara alex at receptiveit.com.au
Thu Nov 12 13:21:39 UTC 2009

I post this in the hope that this helps shed some light on the current situation of Mythtv 0.21 on OSX Snow Leopard.

I purchased Snow Leopard the day it was released. All in all, it was an improvement, but it did have some sharp edges. One of those edges was the loss of exclusive ir access to third party applications, such as Mythfrontend.app.

The sharp edges in question are documented in bug #7112. Basically, the operating system gets the remote code, as well as the third party app. So if I was in Mythfrontend, watching live TV, and wanting to change channels by pressing the up button on the remote, mythtv would show the epg for the next channel, and osx would increase the volume by one click.

This situation appears to be partially resolved in the Snow Leopard 10.6.2 update, but I noticed that my remotes stopped working altogether when in Mythtv. It seems that the IR codes have changed again in 10.6.2.

I have installed the new Chandelair control panel that provides Leopard 10.5 compatibility, and everything is working as advertised.

The main reason for this post is that the author of Chandelair is also the author of Remote Buddy, and he has provided a hid remote class for neat and tight osx ir integration under a BSD license. This has been integrated into XBMC, and would be worth a look.

http://www.iospirit.com/developers/hidremote/

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60426