[mythtv] development contribution

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 22 02:33:41 UTC 2009

On 11/21/2009 09:23 PM, Roo wrote:
> 2009/11/20 Madhusudhan Rajagopal:
>
>> My name is Madhu Rajagopal.  I am interested in contributing to the
>> development effort of MythTV.  I would like some pointers on where to start.
>>  I have read the coding standard and familarized myself with the
>> tickets-system.  Not sure if this is the avenue to express my interest.
>>  Look forward to your replies.
>>

> I am not a developer but will offer some advice based on what I have
> seen happen over time.
>
> If you have particular issue that affects you and you want to improve
> then you can create a patch and put it on a new (or existing) ticket
> in Trac.
>
> If you want to discuss proposed changes you can post to the mythtv-dev
> mailing list with a link to the ticket with patch or RFC style post.
>
> You can also join some devs (and users that lurk) in the #mythtv IRC
> channel on freenode.org if you want.

And feel free to just start tackling patchless bugs/issues reported in
the bug database ( http://svn.mythtv.org/ ) and trying to reproduce,
diagnose, and/or fix the issues.  Or, if you want a break from
debugging/patching, you can also take a look at the feature requests on
the wiki ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_(Plugin_Addons) and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_(New_Plugins) ).

If you start uploading patches that fix the bugs that we haven't had
time to diagnose/fix, we'll definitely get to know you fast (and soon
enough, we may start asking you to work on some bugs for us :).

Thanks,
Mike