[mythtv] UPnP server and transcoding

David Blain MythTv at TheBlains.net
Thu Oct 8 01:36:46 UTC 2009

> Thanks for the input David,
>
> Would you consider migrating over to one of the other stacks if the
> licensing is compatible or do you think the native stack is still the
right
> approach?
>
> I looked at the uPnP specs a little bit yesterday and there is a lot that
> needs to be done in terms of state handling and message responses in order
> to be compliant. I would think it would be easier to offload all of that
> work to a team dedicated on building uPnP functionality.
>
> -Jeremy

If it was completely up to me, I still think the native stack is the better
approach.  However, with each day I don't contribute, I lose a little of the
deciding power.  That is why, ultimately it's up to Isaac and the other
developers.

I personally see mythbackend evolving into more of a media/content server
(with upnp being one of many supported protocols) and the recording engines
being spawned off to separate processes/applications each feeding the
content server.  But that is my vision and not that of any other developer
that I know of.

If you seriously think leveraging an external library for upnp is the right
approach and you're willing to support it long term, present it to the other
developers and see what they think.

David.