[mythtv] Estetic feelings of changset 22580

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Sat Oct 24 18:54:29 UTC 2009

 >How long is the delay here until the list is displayed? The list is
 >currently loaded on-demand.

After choosing desired recordings group, list of recordings is loaded
immidietelly. This is definite improvement.

 >?? too much? You mean the fact that the empty screen draws, and then the
 >popup comes, and then the list fills in?

Exactly.
I would say initial drawing of empty screen brings no any value in user
experience but causes perception of many actions on screen.

 >I think you're in the minority. It sounds like you'd prefer to see
 >no response whatsoever from hitting the Watch Recordings menu option
 >until we can draw the screen with data. Numerous people have commented
 >about the delay in displaying this screen because there was no visual
 >feedback at all that the screen was loading until the time that it
 >actually displayed.

Well, basically I fully agree with remark related to no visual feedback.
Indeed many users prompted me that this is somehow misleading.
But current solution, where feedback is done by drawing  empty screen is
subjectively worse than original behavior.
Ideally will be to have "Please wait" or something similar.

 >There is one more patch that is in my tree that will make this experience
 >better, but it's not something that will be in the 0.22RC2 or 0.22-fixes
 >in the near term. I do plan on putting it into trunk over the weekend
 >sometime. The patch makes the recordings data load in the background and
 >pops up the default animated busy dialog informating the user that the
data
 >is loading so they know what is going on.

This is ideal compromise IMHO
Is above mean that with 0.22-fixes we have 0/1 choice (old behaviour
without 22580 or new with 22580) ?

 >What was the delay previously from when you hit the Watch Recordings menu
 >option until the time the recording list was displayed?

I'm using "Always Prompt for initial group filter". Delay between
pressing OK on selected recording group and displaying recordings list
is really low (100ms or something like this)

br