[mythtv] libGL.so linking error when building trunk on openSuse 11.1, may be nvidia related?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Sep 8 15:12:15 UTC 2009

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and R. G. Newbury at 07/09/09 17:38 did gyre and gimble:
>> <semi-rant or request>
>> It would be SO nice if the Nvidia installer just RE-NAMED the files it
>> touches, rather than just over-writing them. Even better if the 'run'
>> package actually had a --uninstall switch.
>> Anyone at Nvidia read this list???
>> </semi-rant>
>
> I'd imagine most distros have their own integrated versions of these
> drivers that do not rely on the relatively brutish approach of the .run
> installer.

You would imagine wrongly, then.
RPMFUSION provides nvidia drivers for the various available kernels, but
I have no idea if it has a proper install-uninstall setup.

The point is that the .run installer IS a brutish approach. Especially
as fixing the 'brutish-ride-roughshod-over-the-users' approach would be
  relatively easy to fix in the script. And adding an uninstall would
not be much more difficult.

> Certainly in Mandriva all the GL options and libraries etc. are handled
> automatically by our alternatives system allowing both nvidia and mesa
> GL libs to be used and swapped without overwriting anything.
>
> Col

Ooohhhh, stop bragging!
Geoff