[mythtv] mythtv commit: r21860 by danielk

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Sep 15 17:33:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 11:57 -0500, David Engel wrote:
> I've asked multiple times that important things like this at least get
> announced on the -dev mailing list.  I don't fault you guys for using
> IRC for discussing things.  Really, I don't.  IMO, however, the best
> way to be sure to reach *everyone* is through the mailing list.  If
> we're not going to use the -dev mailing list for important things,
> lets drop the pretense, get rid of it and require all develeopers and
> hard core users to monitor IRC 24/7.

Point taken. Unless there are objections I'll delete the 0.22-fixes
branch tonight and recreate it at a later date, there are only a
couple extra patches in trunk so far. I remember getting annoyed
back when I didn't monitor IRC and big decisions got made there
without any notification made here.

> Having to check in changes to multiple branches is only one annoying
> aspect.  The whole thing just seems premature to me.  IIRC, we've
> always waited to until after we released or were very near before
> branching.  We've been code complete for less than 24-hours.  Now
> would be a good time to announce *that* and ask for more early
> adopters to help test instead of immediately jumping into the next big
> thing.

This touches on something else that should have been discussed here.
In IRC we had talked about doing a pre-release on or about Sept 7th.
This didn't happen because of some delays on the unfrozen bits and
my intention was to do prepare that pre-release today from the new
branch. It would be better to not slip from a September release so
we should just announce trunk is ready for heavy testing? It looks
like a lot of new bug reports were filed overnight...

> I'd also hoped to seem some discussion on how to better handle DB
> fixes in 0.22-fixes and a possible 0.22-plus before things get added
> to trunk/0.23.  If that discssuion has already happened, see above and
> please tell me where it is summarized.

If there was discussion I missed it, but my assumption was always that
0.22-plus would have a frozen DB schema.

-- Daniel