[mythtv] irregular freezes with mythnews

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Mon Apr 5 18:59:16 UTC 2010

Hi devs

Last weeks I'm trying to investigate random freezes when fe is entering
mythnews.

Symptoms:
Sometimes (one per week or two) entering mythnews completely freeze fe.
It looks like freeze is just before entering list of news.
When fe freezes, UI is completely frozen and I can't even telnet to box
(interesting: telnet shows greeting and halts just before prompt.)

So far issue is independent on:
-myth version (was in 0.22 now is in 0.23)
-hw type (ION and AMD)
-number of calls for mythnews (tested series of consecutive 400 cycles
mainmenu->mythnews->mainmenu-> mythnews....)

Only correlations for freeze I see are:
-number of defined bookmarks in mythnews: more is, more frequent freezes
I have
-longer period of calling mythnews is (few days) - probability of freeze
is higher

I have impression issue is like exhausted resources which are allocated
by fe just when mythnews plugin is called.

Issue is quite annoying and strong WAF killer as freeze require box hard
reset :-(

Can somebody more myth knowledgeable suggest some mods in mythnews code
for try-see issue hunting approach ?

br