[mythtv] Deciphering backtrace of loop/segfault

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 6 16:57:33 UTC 2010

On 04/06/2010 08:27 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> I have a friend who updated to 0.23-release tag from SVN and is
> experiencing the situation where his frontend segfaults when watching
> a recording.  I already had him clear out everything myth, distclean,
> recompile, etc. etc.  He compiled a debug copy of Myth and captured
> this backtrace.  Under gdb using the instructions on mythtv.org, the
> frontend doesn't segfault but sits at the "Please wait" screen.   Here
> is the results:
>
> http://pastebin.com/KXuaJGBY
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin,

Though the backtrace doesn't tell me much (perhaps others can see more),
this sounds a lot like the the known race condition that "inspired"
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/22350 as a workaround.  The real
fix is much more complex, and (TTBOMK), Mark K. will likely tackle it in
the libmythui-osd branch in order to allow the UI code and video code to
be used on the display at the same time.

Does changing the 50ms sleep to some other value change the results?  If
not, I have another (more invasive) hack of a patch that changes timing
more significantly and can give you a copy to test as a system-specific
workaround.

Mike