[mythtv] UPNP

Matt Pyne mattpyne at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 09:32:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have noticed there isn't much activity on the UPNP server inside mythbackend
recently, so I have been working on it for my own home network.  I was
particularly interested in getting it working with Windows Media Player 12
(Windows 7).

I have started the work and have got quite a few patches to submit now.  Here is
what I have done so far:

1. Fixed the problem with videos/music appearing multiple times in WMP12
2. Added code to detected the Upnp client and pass that though to the upnp
handlers
3. Make Recorded programs appear under "Recorded TV" for WMP12
4. Minor bug-fixes around the http server.

I can submit these patches, and I don't think they are
particularly controversial.  I am currently testing with WMP12 (Windows 7),
WMP11 (Windows Vista/XP), XBox and XBMC.  I don't have a PS3, so I will leave
that to someone else!

There appears to be some problems with the Xbox code, but I will work on that.

However, here is the big change I have made for my own network, and I think it
should be a change for trunk:

5. Drop the use of the upnpmedia table, and associated file scanning class.  Use
the videometadata table instead.

Currently the upnp server scans the video folders and adds the data to the
upnpmedia table.  It then serves the upnp data from there.  This isn't
very intuitive and I believe it should actually serve the same data as
mythvideo.  This makes it easier for the end-user as they simply use the
mythvideo interface they know and love and the upnp video will be the same as
that in under Media Library on the frontend.  Using the videometadata table
means we can serve the coverart, actors, description, run-time etc. easily and
there is an existing interface to edit/download the meta-data.

This would be a big change in the way the upnp server handles the video
directories.

What do those in the know think?  I have made the changes for my network, as it
is something I require anyway.  I doubt we would upset many people making this
change as I believe Upnp is a bit hit and miss at the moment, and it would be
nice to make it work properly.

Thanks,
Matt.