[mythtv] OSD menu: DVB subtitles and Teletext p888

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:13:34 UTC 2010

On 16 August 2010 06:12, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 August 2010 11:14, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16 August 2010 07:42, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Whilst testing trunk earlier and completing some outstanding
>>> translations, I noticed that when choosing to enable subtitles on a
>>> DVB-S (Freesat, UK) source from the new-style OSD menu, I see two
>>>
>>> i) Select Subtitle
>>> ii) Select Teletext CC
>>>
>>> The first option provides the "regular" DVB subtitles which work. The
>>> second option tries to load p888 on digital teletext which fails. Is
>>> it possible to determine whether Teletext subtitles are available
>>> before offering them as a choice on the menu?
>>
>> I think the underlying problem here is that for some reason teletext
>> is broken in livetv in trunk. You'll probably find that, if you look
>> at a -v playback log, you do have a teletext caption stream but
>> actually showing it is the broken part.
>>
>> see http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8566
>
> Should now be fixed - I'd be grateful if you could confirm.

Testing on DVB-S (Freesat, UK) now gives working subtitles on both the
DVB subtitle stream and the digital teletext stream. Thanks :)

I did notice an interesting edge case that might want to be handled -
it is currently possible to enable DVB subtitles, and then bring up
the teletext subtitles from the digital teletext menu (on page 888).
Both subtitles are then rendered on the screen simultaneously -
perhaps the DVB subtitles should be disabled in this scenario?

Also, if both stream types are available, is there any benefit in
offering both of them? I've read that many consumer DVB receivers
support the pre-rendered DVB subtitles and fewer support the local
rendering the digital teletext stream. Is there any truth in this, and
if so, if DVB subtitles are reported as being available should they
take precedence and should the teletext subtitles option be omitted
from the menu?

Cheers,
Nick

--