[mythtv] Packages from source ? (Was: ANNOUNCEMENT: MythTV is moving to Github)

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Dec 7 00:41:35 UTC 2010

On 06/12/2010 12:59, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Monday 06 Dec 2010 12:53:35 Simon Kenyon wrote:
>> On 06/12/2010 00:06, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>> but for a desktop or something like a myth frontend, why bother?
>>> it's not like different compilation options would make a big
>>> difference these days
>> why do people climb mt. everest?
> People WALK up Everest so they can boast about it afterwards. It might be
> dangerous but very few climbers consider it to be a challenge any more, just a
> tourist attraction for the rich and stupid.

I think your analogy is unfair.

How about:

- Why use a knife (gentoo) when there are potato peelers and safety
razors available?

Personally I peel my spuds with a knife because I have spent years doing
it and got good at it (all fingers still intact).  However, I give my
kids a potato peeler so that they don't loose too many fingers (before
they finish needing them to do the maths homework...) However, the
potato peeler is limited when it comes to digging out the blemishes in
the potato, slicing the spud up, etc, etc.

Power and versatility is usually a two edged sword and source based
distributions come with the same caveats.  Gentoo (and other source
based distros) are largely unsuitable for the masses and for sure most
folks are better of with a binary distro.  However, I don't think that
makes them wrong, stupid, unnecessary, etc - simply that they have a
place for the more niche or advanced user

Personally I run all my servers on Gentoo (around 60 virtual machines)
because I'm comfortable with it and it gives me all the tools I need to
easily manage all those machines with minimal effort.  I don't think
this choice is right for everyone mind, but it's very effective for me.
(I use binary packaging so the compile overhead is minimal - probably my
machines update faster than your Redhat machines...)

I also use Gentoo as my tool of choice for home based server'y type
machines, eg the mythtv machine, again for the same reason that it's
nice to have the flexibility to configure how I like

However, I don't use Gentoo for any desktop machines and I think it
would drive me nuts to try... Tools for the job and all that

OK, I have risen to the evangelism, but only because I think non-gentoo
users miss the point of gentoo.  It's definitely NOT about speed (I'm
pretty sure you will get binary packages built with more optimal
CFlags!), it's about the flexibility and fantastic package manager...

Great news about the move to Git though!  Been hoping for such a thing
for a long while.  Here's hoping it spikes some significant new
development!!

Cheers

Ed W