[mythtv] Packages from source ?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Dec 7 05:58:09 UTC 2010

On Dec 6, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Ed W wrote:

> OK, I have risen to the evangelism, but only because I think non-gentoo users miss the point of gentoo.  It's definitely NOT about speed (I'm pretty sure you will get binary packages built with more optimal CFlags!), it's about the flexibility and fantastic package manager...

The one thing that I'll say *is* really nice with Gentoo is the ability
to leave out the crap you just do not want. Nothing irks me more than
an update to a package that compiles in some new support that I'm never
going to use, and as a result, drags in umpteen megabytes of other
packages I really have no need for. Now, part of this is poor packaging,
other parts of it are poorly built software that makes more modular
packaging impossible, etc., but if YOU build the software, then YOU get
to make all such decisions. Of course, this also means if YOU break
something, YOU get to keep the pieces. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com