[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r23378 - in trunk/mythtv/themes by danielk

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Feb 1 15:36:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 09:05 -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Is Arial a no-no from a font standpoint?  Are we basically looking for
> free alternatives (which I certainly understand).

For themes in mythtv/themes Arial is a no-no. The problem is that the
Microsoft fonts can not be put on a DVD, they need to be downloaded
from the Microsoft website. In practice I believe packagers just don't
make them a dependency because it would mean an installation would
fail if the internet was not up when the MythTV package is installed.
Which means the OS just substitutes some other font anyway and every
thing looks off until the user manually installs the fonts. Themes
not in mythtv/themes are generally installed later when the user should
have internet up and running, so depending on ttf-mscorefonts-installer
or the equivalent would be ok.

> At least your change prompted me to upgrade to the latest SVN so I'll
> probably take some time soon and work more on getting some of the
> other screens updated (proglist mostly IIRC).  The wide button was a
> huge fix and I appreciate the work you did to fix that.  The schedule
> editor was excessively difficult to use before.

Great :)

-- Daniel