[mythtv] AC3 playback mangled until timestretch activated

Matt W mwood23 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:09:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Further support for this theory came from another recording of
> _The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien_ (in reruns) tonight with proper
> audio playback due, I believe, to only having one audio track:
>
>     0:15----0:30----0:45
> #1   Stereo--AC3---------
>
> This is in contrast to the aforementioned problematic _Tonight_
> recording:
>
>     0:15----0:30----0:45
> #1   Stereo--AC3---------
> #2   None----Stereo------
>
> So it's not transitioning from a non-AC3 to AC3 audio that's the
> problem; it's doing so with another audio track in the recording. I am
> unsure on what would happen if track #2 existed from the start of the
> recording like #1.

hm interesting.  So is that a case of the broadcaster sending an AC3
stream that contains 0 channels?  Yes it seems to be the multiple
channel count that trips up my myth box.  That PBS broadcast that
first alerted me to all of this had three AC3 streams, with a total of
10 active channels, total.

if i have time today, I'll add my experiences as comments to your open
bug ticket, in the hopes that will give it a bit of a push :)
Otherwise, I'll add to it this weekend.