[mythtv] Notice: Python binding rewrite

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 1 19:38:53 UTC 2010

On 01/01/2010 02:56 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2010/1/1 Raymond Wagner:
>
>> As stated in the above links, mythvideo database access is the only section
>> completely altered.  MythTV got split and renamed to MythBE, but all the
>> functions are still there. Access to the settings table can be wrapped and
>> used in the old format with a couple lines of code. The old logging code was
>> almost non-existent.
>>
>> If need be, I have wrappers for all of the old mythvideo functions, but
>> chose not to include them.
>>
> I was going to amend my previous message on the introduction of wrappers.
>
> To be honnest; It's the lazy side of me that was talking ; I am using
> the python bindings and I couldn't be bothered rewriting them for the
> new structure as my daily cron has been working for quite a while
> without issue...
>
> Keeping backward compatibily through the use of wrappers to the new
> APIs is a great solution IMHO.

It also means a ton of extra code to be maintained and debugged and
tested with every future change within the Python bindings.

The Python bindings have never been declared feature-complete /or/ API
stable, so, IMHO, keeping them clean until we get to a good basis for a
long-term API is a much better plan.

AFAIU, until Raymond started working on the Python bindings, they've
been mostly an afterthought and a "TODO" item rather than something
designed for long-term stability.

Mike