[mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Peter Buelow goballstate at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 21:07:25 UTC 2010

On 1/7/2010 7:17 AM, David Watkins wrote:
> 2010/1/7 Owen<manicmoose at gmail.com>:
>
>> 2010/1/7 Robert Pfeifer<rpfeifer.public at gmail.com>
>>
>>> I use the remote for everything. My MythTV unit does not have a
>>> keyboard, and I do not want to have to boot up a separate PC every time
>>> I wish to edit the playlist. Please continue to make all functionality
>>> available via the remote control.
>>>

>> +1
>>

> Me too
>
> ...and I'd want to be able to select tracks and existing playlists
> only using the LCD display, rather than having to turn my TV on.
>
> At the moment this is possible, though you can get stranded in some of
> the menus because  they don't appear on the LCD. (eg. Exit / Stop
> Playing / Keep Playing)

I've been thinking about this for a while, and why can't MythMusic look
more like a table, similar to iTunes (sorry if that offends anyone, but
it's very simple to use). Then, it should be possible to
create/use/manage playlists with just the arrows, OK, Menu, and D (for
Delete). Easy remote usage, and it's an interface that should work well
on many TV's, especially large wide screen TV's which are becoming much
more the standard. This also makes it possible to use the player buttons
as indicated by Kris, which I'm very much in favor of. I never really
understood why choosing music had to be difficult with MythMusic, nor
why there had to be both a player UI and a UI for selecting music. How
this would work with a second LCD type interface is probably just a
simple UI question to answer as well.

I'd actually like to get up to speed on plugins because I'm newly
unemployed, and now will have a bit of time on my hands. I assume that
much of the existing code base could be reused, with most of the effort
going into creating a new UI. However, there are a couple of other
projects that may trump such an effort. Also, if anyone is interested, I
did rough up a way to create and interact with playlists (my biggest
MythMusic pet peeve). However, it's a standalone Qt application that
directly interacts with the the Myth database, not using any API's (not
the safest way to do this, but I got it done over the course of a few
days). Anyway, if anyone is interested, it can be downloaded from
https://secure.northseminary.net/projects/mythplaylist.

-Pete B