[mythtv] HW CAMs, CI support, legal subscription viewing (DVB-S2)

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Sun Jan 17 15:46:38 UTC 2010

David,

Thx for this topic.

In fact I have exactly the same attitude and concerns as You.

I also planned to setup sat installation in my house.
I plan to do it all legally, so far I'm considering 2 options out of 3
possible:

1. Use tuner card with CI and officially provided by broadcaster CAM
module + subscriber card
2. Use tuner card with softcam emulating broadcaster CAM module +
subscriber card
3. Use tuner card with softcam emulating broadcaster CAM module +
pirated subscriber keys

Option 3 is illegal - also option 2 (but I believe level if illegality
here is little different, as I'm paying subscription fee - so I'm
watching legally. Only decryption is done in illegal way. As it gives no
any harm on broadcaster revenue - illegality here is somehow
questionable for me).

Option 1 is however fully legal here in Poland as 2 out of 3 major sat
broadcasters are now:
-offering official & legal CAM modules for chosen by them their CA system.
-subscriber card is not paired with stb.

So in above context, CI support in Myth is fully legal and I  consider
it valuable feature - well worth to further develop.
BTW: Any remarks/guides/wiki from persons having already any experience
with legal CAM on CI will be much welcomed.

I plan to use TT-Budget S2-3200. AFAIK it is well known card, being on
SAA7146 has full support in Linux and has CI.
I haven't any experience with mythtv and CI on his card yet - so if
anybody has - pls share at least quirks and workarounds.

Another story is case when You will wan to have more than 1 tuner.
Currently I see 2 solutions:
1. buy as many CAMs as tuners You have and use subscriber card sharing
2. use softcam and use subscriber card sharing

Case 1 requires sharing of subscriber card so AFAIK it is still illegal.
Option 2 is also illegal.
I will explore this more when my installation will be finally setup (now
in Poland is winter - so I'm not so hurry in dish installation works...)

Regarding mythtv and DVB-S/CI, following link gives me so big hope that
I decided to  invest is sat receiving system:

http://omcentre.com.au/Getting-Pay-TV-to-Work-With-MythTV.102.0.html

Also look here:
http://www.austech.info/other-linux-based-receivers/17162-mythtv-opensasc-radegast.html

and here:
http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/s2-liplianin/

I would really appreciate if all ppl having DVB-S2 & CI experience will
share with us experience regarding subject.

br