[mythtv] missing bits from r25164?

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:36:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:

> If you didn't already think of it, please consider using either full
> virtualisation (eg Virtualbox, etc), or container virtualisation such as
> linux-vservers.  I'm sure this is already on the plan(!), but don't overlook
> the vservers stuff - they are incredibly lightweight, hence you can easily
> overcommit resources (useful to start more machines if most are normally
> idle or have quite variable memory requirements - just let the OS allocate
> memory as appropriate).
>
> I use linux-vserver extensively and have nothing but praise for it.  It
> would make it super easy to even setup stuff like creating scripts which
> could give any developer their own entire virtual machine to build on.
>  Machines boot in 2-3 seconds

How people want to setup their slaves is up to them really.  I personally
intend to use KVM/XEN, etc for any that I use, but really, the way it
normally works with buildbot is that you have a slave client running, which
keeps in contact with the build master.  The build master then tells it what
to do over said connection.  Bringing up and tearing down VMs isn't really
part of the plan at this point, but this may change over time.  For
instance, I may want to use EC2 to do building in a pinch.

Once I have the buildmaster ready, and have it on its way with a slave that
I'd setup myself, then it would be time to get more people lined up with
their various configs that we want to test building on...  and then the
other automated testing, etc.

In the end, we'd end up with automated building that will prove to us that
our commits haven't inadvertently borked other configurations...  and prove
that we didn't miss files in our commits (far too easy to do, we've all done
it, I'm sure).

BTW, mozilla (i.e. Firefox, etc) is a major user of buildbot.  We'd be in
good company. :)